9.22.2009

NBD - Week 2 Review A

Surreptitiously using my (new) roommate's computer today thanks to my wireless not working, so no fancy introduction. Just diving right in:

Sweaty Empanadas (102) defeats Matt Ryan Loves Dogs (86)
I missed last night's Colts- Dolphins game (again, a byproduct of new roommates and no cable hook-up in my room yet), but apparently Ronnie Brown had quite a night. Papkin's boys came into the night down by nine to Koehler, but it took Ronnie about a quarter to close that gap, and he spent the rest of the game widening the margin of victory (Brown had 26 points in all). In the other night game, Marion Barber also came through for the Empanadas, scoring 22 points before suffering a strained quadricep (quadriceps? I'm not sure, that might be one of those words were the singular has an "s"). MRLD had a quiet week, with only Kurt Warner (17) surpassing the 12-point mark. A slim day was to be expected from Steven Jackson, but Koehler (and Skins fans everywhere) must be disappointed in Clinton Portis' inability to score a touchdown on the heinous Rams. I watched that game in a crowded bar at a table of four Skins fans, and I think our waitress (angling for a tip) was more excited about the Skins' victory than we were. God, that was ugly.

Bartelby (108) defeats I'm at the Pizza Hut (89)
Despite a 46-point lead headed into Monday night, my dad texted me worried after the start of last night's game, when Peyton Manning and Dallas Clark (a Pizza Hut employee) connected for an 80-yard touchdown on the first play of the game. That prompted this text to his opponent at halftime: "Elliott, It is my sincere hope that Dallas Clark gets constipated at halftime and Reggie Wayne develops diarrhea. If not, you may poop all over me. All of Charlotte is hoping for the Miami ground game -- Ray T"
I'm not even sure I understand that correctly, but I think when you've got your police chief father texting your business school friend about various gastro-intestinal disorders, and raising the possibility of being pooped on, you're doing something right as a commissioner. (I also wonder whether my dad was aware of Elliott's own recent GI track tract issues, which raise the level of humor on this immeasurably.) Fortunately, Bartelby proved to be too lofty to be shat upon, thanks to the considerable efforts of Frank Gore (37) and David Garrard (19), who justified his position as a keeper, at least for one week.
Further recaps forthcoming later in the day if I can get my own internet working.

No comments: