9.23.2009

NBD - Week 2 Review C

Don't forget about Parts A and B. Just because they came out sooner doesn't make them any less important. It's the fact that they don't include the re-cap of my game that makes them less important.

You Belong 2 Kanye (86) defeats Ditka's Wallet (56)
This match-up featured the Haller brothers, who are determined to make Ray and Michael's heads explode by changing their team names to different of-the-moment cultural references each week. Already, Matt's team is no longer called "You Belong 2 Kanye," but since that's what they were called on Sunday that's the name I'm using here. So far as I can tell, Derek's name is now a reference to one of those Coors Light press conference ads, which is absolutely a new low in uncreative team naming. I hope there's more there. As thinly entertaining as the revolving door of team names is, it actually far outshines this shitter of a game. Dereks group of lame-o's managed to get one player - Tony Romo - into double-figures, and only barely at that (12). His starting running backs were LeSean McCoy (6), Fred Taylor (5), and Beanie Wells (2). That is abominable. Normally it takes a full season of injuries, position takeovers, and weardown to put together a starting crew that week, and Derek has managed it in only a few weeks. Matt did better, but not much. There are only three other teams in the league that he would have beaten. His top two scorers were Jay Cutler (17) and Fred Jackson (17), which are respectable days. So what did Matt do? He traded away Jackson and replaced Cutler. Interesting strategy.

Deuceburger (118) defeats The Death Panel (107)
Even though I scored 107 points this week, enough to beat all but three NBD teams, I am at peace with my loss. I deserved to lose. Why? After the day games on Sunday, I was down only ten points even though Kex had had a strong day. Darren Sproles had laid further claim to the San Diego starter's job with 21 points. The New Orleans defense (17) had somehow cobbled together a two sacks, three picks, a forced fumble and a touchdown. Adrian Peterson had put up 16 points, which frankly is way less than I'd feared considering he was playing the Lions. Even Kellen Winslow (15) stopped being a shitter for one week. And yet still I was only down by a slim margin, thanks to my boy Drew Brees' usual excellence (23), Andre Johnson's explosion (27), and a surprisingly good performance from Chad Ochocinco (15). And who did I turn to for those final ten+ points? Who did my Week 2 fate rely on? The fucking Dallas Cowboys. With a league full of defenses to choose from in the draft, and no real difference between them at that point, I chose my own team's hated rivals. Why? Because I'm a jackass. And when the time came and I needed them, they did nothing for me. Literally, nothing. 0 points. Well, that's it Cowboys. I'm done with you. You just got replaced by the Denver Broncos. How 'bout them apples?!?

Back this weekend for Previews & Predictions.

No comments: