9.22.2009

NBD - Week 2 Review B

Here's Part A

Burke City Giants (85) defeat Woody's Warriors (77)
After only two weeks, it's very early to be drawing conclusions on any teams, but after Burke City's pedestrian victory here in Week 2, we can at least say that the pre-season Superteam is looking somewhat mortal. Tom Brady clearly hasn't rounded back into form yet, which is limiting the production of Randy Moss (2 pts - and I should note that the absence of Wes Welker didn't help). Steve Slaton, who was supposed to be such a steal in the 12th round, has actually produced like a 12th-rounder (3 pts last week, 6 this week). Could it be that Michael Toobin's team is not the juggernaut we all thought it was? Well, the truth is it doesn't matter, because they're 2-0 anyway. DeAngelo Williams (15) still seems to be on pace from last year; Peyton Manning (20) threw a couple of huge bombs yesterday; and Vincent Jackson (20) is clearly the top receiving option so far in San Diego's powerful offense. So while the Giants weren't setting any records for scoring this weekend, they did enough to beat a Warriors team that saw Michael Turner (15) return to form and Calvin Johnson (13) score his first touchdown of the season, but did little else to claim victory. I should note that I foresaw all of the things mentioned in the previous paragraph in my Week 2 P&P.

You Got Got (150) defeats Wild Stallions (103)
So Michael Toobin may not have set any records this week, but Joe Colly did. You Got Got's 149.90 point performance is, by a mere .14 points, the highest single week in NBD history. (Technically, I only went back as far as '07, but since we used a scoring system that regularly put teams in the 40s and 50s before that, I think it's a safe assumption.) The Getters were led, of course, by this week's fantasy behemoth, Chris Johnson (46 pts). CJ was an absolute beast in this one, scoring on a 57-yard touchdown run and 69-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter alone. We're lucky he didn't maintain that pace and post a Chamberlainesque 100 on the day. On a quiet day from this team's supposed stud (MJD had 8 points), the rest of Colly's squad rallied around Johnson, with contributions from Marques Colston (22), Matt Ryan (20), Lawrence Tynes (15), and Owen Daniels (13).
I would be remiss if I didn't point out that DeYoung's Stallions actually had a good day in the loss, out-scoring all but three other NBD teams. Leading the way was Willis McGahee's surprising resurgence as the top option in the Baltimore running game (21 pts). Perhaps reports of Ray Rice's ascension to the fantasy elite were premature (which is unfortunate for me). Also taking over lead rushing duties was Knowshon Moreno (10 pts) for Denver, which makes DeYoung's decision to trade him away this week all the more surprising. I get that Deezer has extra quarterbacks to deal, and I can see him wanting RB help with Pierre Thomas yet to show that he can recapture last season's late run. But to trade away a top QB like Philip Rivers and arguably the most promising rookie RB before you've seen what he's really capable of, I would need to be getting a lot back in return. Fred Jackson has certainly been great so far this year, and I don't think he'll lose his job to Marshawn Lynch when he returns, but I do think he'll lose some carries, especially around the goal line where Lynch can do his "Beast Mode" thing. To me, it's a very questionable decision. I won't pass judgement 'til we see what comes of it, but I'd love to hear Deezer's justification (perhaps in the Comments? Is that too much to ask?)

Two more games to go. MaƱana.
(That's right, I figured out how to do tildes. HTML, bitches!)

9 comments:

JD said...

There is no justification. Chalk this one up to lunacy/idiocy. I'm not happy with it. Maybe that means it will work out though?

Commandant Lassard said...

refreshingly honest. and retarded.

Sam said...

i take personal offense to your comments commish...

Ray T said...

All Maalox, PeptoBismol and prune juice have been put away after Miami's ground control game kept the ball out of Manning/Wayne/Clark's hands in the second half. If JD had not conducted the trade under the cloak of silence, I might have offered a full-time RB for Rivers.

Ray T said...

My Crabtree watch can end. Ted Ginn in Crabtree out.

Commandant Lassard said...

but i just wrote a new crabtree watch write-up today! 15 good minutes - wasted!

dois said...

wow...what a letdown. thought the chief woulda shown a little more sac.

Ray T said...

It was today's elevation to rust level that prompted my decision. I was also impressed with Ginn's ability to get open on Monday. All in all, Bardey is right: snail testicles.

JD said...

Part of the trade was sending Rivers to Haller because he has a mancrush on his fellow NC St. alum. Ray Ray, I may seriously pay for this so you will laugh last at my secret back-room dealings. Piss poor job of leveraging my position. All I can hope for is that Fred Jackson stays at the top of the pile in Buffalo.